Friday, February 13, 2009

Old Time Religion

I am always amazed to learn that friends - current, old, or half-forgotten ones - are seriously engaged in religion. I'm not talking about those that just go to church on Sunday - although that does surprise me about SOME of them, but not the typical straight, married friends. (The latter are conformists in many ways - this is just another way they follow.) No, I'm referring to friends I would never have thought would be active in any church. Some of them actually speak about loving Jesus. I can think of two friends off the top of my head who fit this category. And a third if I count a high school classmate that I was not really good friends with, but whose image in my mind is completely antithetical to the dutiful church-goer. I also have at least two friends whose daughters are involved in missionary work. They don't seem like the missionary type - at all - yet they seem to be.

I can't help but wonder, what are they thinking? I don't know why I feel this way. True, I don't really believe in God and I certainly don't believe in the church, but these are people I respect so I'm not sure why I am so skeptical about this aspect of them. I think it has more to do with my feelings about organized religion than it does with belief in God in general. OK, that statement may not be completely honest. I guess I feel like most truly intelligent people would be more inclined not to believe in God. They would at least have to question it. Beyond that, I don't have positive feelings about organized religion because it's at the root of many of our social problems not just now, but throughout history. It's been the cause of wars since the beginning of mankind. Today, religion is used to persecute and revile gay people. It is the foundation of a lot of bigotry and hatred. I can't understand how people with whom I feel (or felt) a strong bond, based on I suppose some sort of common values, could feel so differently from me on this subject.

One former co-worker I've recently reconnected with on Facebook has made some postings that really got my attention. Under her "interests," she lists Jesus. Under "favorite quotations," it says: John 16:33 " I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world." Yeah Jesus!!! Then on the "25 Random Things," she says: "Love God. Want to be a better follower of Him." All of this floors me. This does not sound like the same girl I once knew.

I have another friend whose transformation is no less stunning. She is seriously into her church. Does a LOT of things for and involving the church. At least it's not some born-again, charismatic church. It's more traditional. But still. I just don't get it.

I wish I understood what is up with all these people. People who didn't have religion before have suddenly gotten it - big time. Were their lives so empty that they had to fill the void with something so completely outside of who they once were? That may sound cynical - and it probably is - but it's how it seems to me.

Again, in the name of honesty and full disclosure, I should say that in many ways, I envy them. I envy them their faith and belief in a higher power. It must be comforting. But I can't help but feel it's naive.

I'm not sure I'll ever understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment